Monday, October 6, 2008

Inexpensive Crafts: Make a Spider Brooch

Last year, I saw the cutest little spider brooches at the Hallmark shop. I was tempted to buy them all, they were so adorable, but a little expensive!

I noticed they were made with pipe cleaners, and a few little accessories. So I decided to make my own. I bought pipe cleaners and fuzzy pom-poms from the craft store, then searched my house for other odds and ends. I assembled about 15 of these little spiders using; beads, ribbon, hot glue, glitter, pipe cleaners, and little pom-poms for the body.

Construction Steps:
  • Use one black fuzzy pom-pom for the body.
  • Tie a black pipe cleaner, tightly, around the middle of the pom-pom to form a waist *Use the entire pipe cleaner, so wrap it until there's no excess wire showing.
  • Use 4 pipe cleaners - insert them through the side of the pom-pom to form the eight legs.
  • Be creative, string beads on the legs for a little decoration, and glue glittery items to the body.
  • Glue on two googly eyes, or use two little beads for the eyes.
  • Bend legs and shape them to look like spider legs.
  • To make a brooch use use a small safety pin, or hot glue a pin backing from a jewelry kit to it.
These spiders could be made with many recycled items from around the house. For example, roll aluminum foil into small balls to make shiny little beads. Then insert a hole into the center, and string the pipe cleaners through. Other suggested items to use; small colorful stones or shells, colorful bread ties, ribbon, dried beans, seeds, pasta, and so on ...



I made about 15 little spiders. I enjoyed making these, I felt like a little kid making my pipe cleaner creatures! And I enjoyed sharing these with friends and family!
Hope you have fun too :)

No comments:

Look below for even more Deals!

Free coupons and more from General Mills

Get 3 Boxes for $3 + a free stainless steel mug with no obligation!

3 Boxes of Gevalia + FREE Stainless Steel Mug for only $3. There's over 40 varieties of either ground or whole bean coffee, as well as loose-leaf tea to select from.