Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Works for Me Wednesday: Easy Exercises


I don't have a gym membership, or a bunch of the latest workout DVD's. So to help stay in shape, I exercise in the privacy of my home. It takes a lot to motivate me to exercise, so I do a few easy exercises during the week to stay healthy. And to keep myself motivated; I try not to over do it, I do the exercises I like, and I have a little fun while doing it :)

I read magazines while walking

While walking on my treadmill I read magazines. I know that doesn't sound safe, but I dread the treadmill - I call it a "dreadmill" or "guilt machine". So it takes a lot of motivation for me to get on that machine. I encourage myself with one of my favorite things, and that is reading my Free Magazines! So while reading, I get my exercise too. I take breaks in between reading to speed-up the pace for a couple minutes at a time. *I wear good walking sneakers to help with stability, and I hold onto the machine's handle bars when reading. If you're looking for a treadmill, but it's not in your budget then you should check your local freecycle. I've seen treadmills posted on our local freecyle several times.



Be sure to check out my Mail and Freebies posts - there are many Free Magazines offers! My treadmill has enough room in the cup holder section for books, but I'm seriously thinking about getting a Stand Holder. This Stand Holder's not intended for a treadmill, but maybe with a little modification it could be attached. I like to read often, so if it doesn't work on my treadmill I'll use it on my desk.

I wear comfy shoes when I walk around the house

These FitFlop Sandals are my favorite shoes! I wear them around the house, even in the winter. They're so comfortable! The manufacturer mentions that they help boost leg and calf muscle activity when you walk in them. They can be a little expensive though, but I've had my pair for over a year and they're still in great shape.



And I sit around the house

When I'm not walking in my comfy FitFlops, I'm in front of my computer. And to get some exercise, I sit on one of these Exercise Balls. This ball was less than $20 and has been used so many times. I think it helps me stay in shape. And I actually like sitting on that silly looking ball. It keeps me aware of my sitting posture, and balance. Then when no one is around, I love to bounce on it to burn a few calories :)


I would never take one of these Exercise Balls outside of my own home office, because I know I look silly sitting on it. However, I have worked with a few brave folks that have. I don't watch a lot of TV, but I watch The Office on Thursdays. And here's a funny clip from The Office.

:)



The ideas mentioned are the exercises that work for me. I hope some of the ideas help, but please use caution and use your best judgment for a safe and healthy exercise regimen :)

For more Works for Me Wednesday tips, check out Rocks in my Dryer.

2 comments:

Kaycee said...

I love The Office, Dwight is my favorite.

I found a treadmill on Freecycle, but I hate using it. I like to run "drills" ex: 2 minutes walking, 3 minutes running and 1 minute sprinting. This keeps me engaged and focused on what I'm doing.

"Intentionally Katie" said...

I also read while I exercise. If I get too bogged down with blog posts I need to read, I'll paste a bunch into Word and print them off to read at the gym. I love efficiency...what a beautiful thing. THAT works for ME!!! :)

Oh, and I love The Office. Thanks for the laugh!

Look below for even more Deals!

Free coupons and more from General Mills

Get 3 Boxes for $3 + a free stainless steel mug with no obligation!

3 Boxes of Gevalia + FREE Stainless Steel Mug for only $3. There's over 40 varieties of either ground or whole bean coffee, as well as loose-leaf tea to select from.